I went home reflecting on this.
Have I shown enough love and affection to my dad and mum? Hmm… yes, once in a while….. Now? Getting a bit more reserved because parents are back for good. The Asian culture somehow shaped the way we show affection and love towards one another. The way I care - buying presents for special occasion, bringing them out for nice dinners, coming home to have dinner with them n short tv session together and occasionally I will give my mum big HUGS.
The more I thought about it, the more I felt bad actually. Is that all?! Communication with dad and mum seem to have reduced significantly especially now that I see them everyday. But of course that love for them never dies down.
I asked God to give me courage to show them love and affection a bit more. For a start, I was quietly arranging for a family trip by asking younger brother for his leave plan.
You know, God has His special way of intervening and answering our prayers :)
On sunday night, as usual, I was chatting and working on my PC and when I got tired, I went to lie down a while on my bed and fell asleep. Woke up in the middle of the night and while I was about to switch off my PC, I saw in my inbox there was an email from dad. *surprised* I opened it - Dad wrote to me telling me he was worried about me about my career, health and how I juggle between church ministry and personal life.
I was in tears. I felt deep conviction that I was to be blamed that I didn’t take time to share with dad and mum on my life journey and my passion.
With all boldness, I decided to invite them into my small little world. I invited them to my blog site by giving dad the link. *you know how a teenager/ young adult will never want to share or show his/her parents what he/she is up to, let alone sharing such personal stuff*. But then again, they are supposed to be the closest person to us on earth. I wrote back to dad and mum assuring them I love them and I do care about my personal life and future, as well as pursuing my passion and purpose in life.
The next day, dad and mum saw the mail and got led to my blog site. I felt bare naked (*in a good sense*). This is actually such an amazing way to show them affection and love by sharing with them ‘my life, my stories, my passion’ which is what every parent would love to know of their children.
There was a deep exchange! Deep….deep…..deep and beautiful exchange!
As I’m writing this, I know they will agree with me that the distance we used to have had disappeared. Now they understand me better as a person with dreams and passion and a daughter who loves them so dearly (*these were the exact words from dad*).
So amazing!..........I’m in awe ….of the power of LOVE!
P/s Friends, may you be inspired to gather your courage too, to show your loved ones the love and affection due to them :) They won’t know, until you tell or show them………
No comments:
Post a Comment