I failed the test for blood donation, I don’t have more than sufficient IRON in my body to allow me to be a donor, sad isn’t it?
All my life….i’ve had this ‘phobia’ of blood donation….thinking all sorts of lame possibilities, e.g.
- what if the needle not clean n infected;
- what if the nurse not professional or skilful enough that my veins can’t be found and have to keeping poking the needle;
- what if they detected I have incurable diseases;
- what if I don’t have enough blood and fainted; no blood flow to my brain and become a ‘vegetable’ (SO CRAZY THOUGHTS right?)
Think over the years, as I learnt to appreciate life and people a little bit better, and finally managed to overcome my ‘selfishness’ and ‘phobias’, I’ve finally decided to step forward for blood donation the next time I have opportunity to do so.
It didn’t happen until I joined my current workplace just 6 months back. Without contemplating much, I gathered my courage and went to the counter. After filling in forms etc… the nurse tested my blood, all she said was ‘You can’t donate’, then continued with her work and asked to examine the next potential donor. It hit me so hard….CANNOT?! What do you mean? I’m not underweight (*ahem, that’s obvious*), I ate sufficiently (*sometimes more than enough*)…. But why?! Pestered the nurse, she only said I don’t have enough iron! I felt sooooooooooo sad and lousy about it…
Life lesson here is that
When we know what’s the right thing to do, do it when the need arises, or simply put, do it at once!
Do not wait, do not delay, you may never have the chance to do it again!
6 months later, opportunity came again… though with much fear and trembling still, I went up to the counter again. This time, I didn’t let any crazy thoughts sink in my minds, I just went single-mindedly – I WANT TO DONATE BLOOD!
You guess it, I failed again! It wasn’t a good feeling. ‘What if’ start crowding my head again…
- what if I never get to donate blood for my entire life…
- what if someone very close very dear to me today needed my blood…
- what if I have an accident and start losing blood…
It was definitely not a ‘good’ moment for me. But I’ve made up my mind, no matter what, I’ll live my life to the fullest, not only in giving blood, but giving to others, pouring and investing into others’ lives.
To my readers, I hope I’ve made a difference in your life, in little and small way at least… :)
To the successful donors, my salute to you! So proud of you!
1 comment:
Is ok that you cant donate blood, but u still have fats to donate!!! hehehe... i really felt your love for others, and frankly speaking, you are the first and only one to talk to when i had problems in my life. Thanks for being a good listener...
Post a Comment